Saturday, December 03, 2005

Saturday Night in Luckenbach


This time last Saturday night we were on our way to the High Church of Hill Country Honky Tonk, Luckenbach, Texas, after finding a room and a delicious German dinner at Der Auslander in Fredericksburg. As much as the past is always present in San Antonio, you could say that Luckenbach is a place where time seems to have stood still for the past 150 years or so. Last time we tried to visit it was during the great flood of 2002 when the roads were flooded and the cotton mill was lost, so it was good to see that the rest of the town was spared. The famous old dance hall still looks the same and that timeless feeling has not been altered by any modern progress, thank you Jesus.

Gilberto was not feeling well (can't imagine why after 5 days of Texas food) so we didn't try to dance, but it was fun just watching and listening. Geronimo Trevino's band was cooking and the dancing was fabulous. I still have trouble with the Two Step so I'm glad I didn't get up and embarrass myself, but it was a bit chilly to just sit since they had opened four of the big windows. I went out and warmed up by the big fire going over by the bar, had a couple of Shiners and almost got drunk enough to buy a turquoise cowgirl hat in the General Store. They don't take anything but cash in Luckenbach so I guess that was all for the best. I'm not sure I would wear it very much in New York City. I did buy a red bandana with a Lone Star clasp so I'm making progress on my cowgirl outfit. The Luchesse 2000 boots drew some approving glances. But I do need a hat. And turqouise is rather rare, so said the Hondo Crouch lookalike hat salesman. I was going to try and jaw him down ala New York but somehow that's not my style. "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it," they say in Texas. So I wandered on back to the Dance Hall and found Gilberto dozing in the corner. We had to get up early to drive to Austin for church so we left after the second set, after hearing What I Like About Texas. Hee-Haa!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home