Monday, October 31, 2005

Zabriskie Plot



I know, Halloween is almost over. I wanted to write this earlier in the day but I had to run over to another law firm with a laptop to type in some confidential documents that couldn't be copied or otherwise leave the building. I had a nice visiting attorney office all to myself overlooking Times Square, quiet and unbothered, but I really hate laptops and the dim screen plus the poor copies I was typing from have left me nearly blind. But I digress.

For some reason, on Saturday I woke up and thought of going up to Trinity's uptown cemetery at 153th St. west of Broadway to visit the graves of two of St. Ignatius' most dedicated churchmen from the first years of its founding, Christian Zabriskie, Jr. and his son, Charles Frederic Fabriskie. I didn't realize you need an appointment to visit the cemetery (who knew and the gate was open) so I was almost arrested for trespassing, but I told the guard that these were my family, so he had pity on me. I didn't feel like I was really lying since I have felt very close to these guys for about 20 years. Some times I think I may be channeling one or all three of them. Yes, there were three generations of Zabriskies that were on the vestry of St. Ignatius. Charles Lemaire Zabriskie, Charles Frederic's son, is not buried there. I will tell you more about these fascinating men in days to come, but right now I need to rest my tired eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home