Thursday, August 02, 2007

St. Joseph of Arimathea


And did those feet, in ancient time,
Walk upon England's mountains green?


St. Joseph of Arimathea is my favorite saint. I've had a fondness for the legends surrounding him for about 20 something years and have amassed most all the known literature about him and have been to Glastonbury, which is my favorite place in the world, three times. I hope to write an opera about him some day. Until then, it's business as usual. Can hardly wait for my vacation next week out to Snow Mountain Ranch in Rocky Mountain National Park with the family. It will be another high altitude Assumption.

I was at Transfiguration last Sunday and it was good to see Bishop St. John bringing that congo back together, admist the renovations following the removal of the parish hall. They do a Solemn Mass all summer so they are ahead of us, and even have a full choir. They need more fans, however, as it was positively stifling in there on a day that was not terribly hot but very very humid. The incense was a bit sweet for my taste, Gloria I think, but there was at least enough of it to notice. The torches did that Hail Jesus salute at the elevations that I always find amusing. Afterward there was a small coffee hour at the back of the church but Gilberto and I decided to head down a couple blocks to Hill Country, which has become my home away from home. The brisket is just wonderful and those Kreuz margaritas are just heavenly. What a blessing to finally have a real Texas barbecue joint here in Manhattan! One day soon I hear they will also have Shiner Beer! Thank you, Jesus!

Yesterday for the feast of St. Joseph of Arimathea I went to the noonday Sung Mass at St. Mary's. Fr. Beddingfield celebrated and homilized and there was a wonderful amount of incense, as usual. St. Mary's and New York will miss Fr. Beddingfield, but we wish him well in his new gig at All Souls, Washington DC.

The final three have been chosen in the St. Ig. derby for the vestry's consideration, so let us pray that they are of one mind and that right soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home